Are you munching on having some crispy and crunchy delights meal? Then try out some South Indian dishes like Sambar, Dosa & Nariyal chutney. You will experience a brilliant blend of South Indian flavors. To make them, hereby sharing a simple and easy-to-make recipe for south Indian cuisine. If you find difficulty in finding the ingredients in Canada for sambar, dosa, or chutney mentioned below then you can buy them online from Buddy Basket. It is a popular south asian grocery in Canada.
So, let’s start with all the ingredients needed for making Sambar, Masala Dosa & Coconut Chutney.
Ingredients for Sambar, Masala Dosa & Coconut Chutney
Below is mention ingredients required for Sambar , Masala Dosa & Coconut Chutney making :
Prep & Cooking: 45 minutes
- 1 cup Toor dal/Arhar (split pigeon peas)
- 1 tablespoon(tbsp) Tamarind piece soaked (15-20 minutes) / Lemon juice
- 10 to 12 leaves Fresh curry leaves
- 3/4 teaspoons (tsp) Black Mustard seeds (kali sarso)
- 2 tbsp Sambar powder (quantity can be increased according to taste)
- ¼ tsp Hing
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 5 to 6 beans chopped
- ½ cup chopped pumpkin
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 7 to 8 Drumsticks ( fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup Coriander chopped
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 ½ tsp Salt ( add according to your taste)
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Dhaniya powder
- ½ tsp Lal Mrich ( according to taste)
Coconut Chutney/ Nariyal Chutney
Prep & Cooking: 15 minutes
- ½ cup grated coconut (nariyal)
- 1 to 2 chopped green chilies
- 15 to 20 curry leaves
- ¼ cup roasted chana dal/ urad dal (roasted bengal gram)
- ½ inch chopped ginger
- 2 tsp oil or ghee (coconut oil or sunflower oil)
- salt as per your taste
- 7-8 pieces of ground nuts
- ¼ cup water or add as needed
For batter: Preparation takes 20 minutes
- 3 cup sona masuri rice
- ½ tsp methi / fenugreek seeds
- water (for soaking)
- 1 cup urad dal
- 2 tbsp toor dal
- 2 tbsp chana dal
For aloo bhaji : Preparation takes 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 dried red chilli
- few curry leaves
- pinch hing / asafoetida
- 2 chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 potato (boiled & mashed)
- 2 tbsp coriander (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
All of the above ingredients are a must for making this south indian cuisine. If you’re having difficulty finding all of the ingredients together at the groceries store. Then you can go for an online grocery delivery option.
Instructions for preparation for Sambar, Masala Dosa & Coconut Chutney
Below is mention preparation instructions for Sambar , Masala Dosa & Coconut Chutney :
Method of preparation for Sambar
- Add rinsed toor dal with 3 cups of water. Then add ½ tsp turmeric and 1 tsp salt. Pressure cook it until 5 whistles blow at the medium-high flame, after that cook dal on medium-low flame for 5-6 minutes.
- Once the dal is cooked open a lid and start mashing it.Keep aside.
- Take a pan, add 2 tbsp of oil and heat it on medium flame. Add all the chopped veggies-carrot, tomato, beans, drumstick, pumpkin, and onion, and cook for 2-3 minutes. After that add 3 cups of water and stir it well. Cover with lid for about 2 minutes to get soggy mixture.
- After that add 2 tbsp sambar powder stir, then add 3-4 tbsp of soaked tamarind juice or lemon juice.
- Add the cooked dal into the mixture and stir all together on a medium flame for 5-6 minutes.
- For tadka (tempering), take a small tempering pan- heat ghee. After that add 1tsp mustard seeds, 7-8 curry leaves, and pinch of hing. Stir it for a few seconds.
- Pour the tadka into the sambar while it is steaming on medium flame.
- After 10 minutes add chopped coriander for garnishing. Your hot sambar is now ready to be served.
Method of preparation for Coconut Chutney
- Start by taking a frying pan and adding 2 tsp oil to it. Then add 15-20 curry leaves. stir it for a few seconds until curry leaves are crisp. Keep this mixture aside to get it cool down.
- Now take a chutney grinder and add 1/2 cup of grated coconut, 1/4 cup roasted chana dal or urad dal, ground nuts 5-6 pieces, ½ inch chopped ginger, green chilies 1 or 2, and salt(according to taste) and the curry leaves oil mixture. Then Add ¼ cup of water and grind it well until you see a smooth chutney. Take a note to add less amount of water for a thicker consistency of the chutney.
- Serve the Hotel Style Coconut Chutney with plain dosa, idli, puttupodi, uttapam, and many more south indian dishes.
Note : Chutney will keep longer in a fridge for a few hours than it would in a hotter or warmer environment.
Method of preparation for Masala Dosa
For Dosa batter:
- Take a big bowl and add 3 cups of sona masuri rice, 1/2 tsp methi,1 cup of urad dal, 2 tbsp of toor dal, and chana dal. Rinse it well in water and soak for about 4 hours.
- After 4 hours drain all water and transfer it to the grinder or mixi. Add water as per the batter requirement and blend it well into a smooth paste.
- Keep aside for fermentation for about 8 hours in a warm place. You will see the batter will double its volume before. In Canada, the climate is cold so you can keep it in the oven.
- Once the formation process time is over, mix the batter gently. Then put a 1 tsp cup of salt into it and mix it well until combined.
- Masala dosa batter is ready to roast in a pan.
For Aloo Bhaji:
- First, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a big kadai and add 1 tsp mustard seeds till it splutters. After that add 1 tsp each of urad, chana, and red chilli, along with a few curry leaves and a pinch of hing. Stir it well.
- Now add grated ginger, 2 chilies, and onion to it. Saute well.
- After that sprinkle ¼ tsp turmeric and 1 tsp salt.Stir-fry well.
- Add 3 mashed potatoes and mix well with the spices. Add a little water to it and stir well for 1 minute.
- Now turn off the flame and add 2 tbsp of lemon juice & coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Aloo bhaji for masala dosa is ready. keep aside.
For Masala Dosa Roasting :
- Add a ladleful of batter to a hot Tawa to start.
- For making crispy dosa spread as thinly as you can.
- Then spread 1 tsp of butter/oil/ghee evenly around the dosa.
- Add 2 tbsp of the prepared aloo masala to the center.
- Keep roasting the dosa until it becomes crispy and golden.
- After that roll the dosa after scraping the sides.
- Finally, the masala dosa dish is prepared and can be served with sambar and coconut chutney.
Buddy Basket is a popular grocery store delivery that allows you to get your favorite Indian products at home. They are offering delivery everywhere in Canada like Brampton, Toronto, Mississauga, Ontario, Hamilton etc. We have more than 1000+ products like Sooji, Sambar powder, Easy idli mix, dosa mix etc. that will be happily delivered to your door !
Christmas is among the most enthusiastically and lovingly celebrated festivals of the year by people around the globe with lots of love and enthusiasm. This festival is marked by the preparation of cakes in grand style, as Christmas cakes are the most popular thing on Christmas Eve.
Christmas is a time for celebration! Why not buy a cake from Elite Cake and share the joy with your family, friends and business partners? With several delicious cake flavours to choose from, any celebration will be all the more special with an Elite Cake that you can send using Buddy Basket.
Elite Jack fruit Cake
The jackfruit is a tropical fruit that has become increasingly popular in East Asian, Southeast Asian, and South Asian cuisines. The jackfruit tree is the world’s largest tree-borne fruit. Jackfruits are also considered to be one of the most nutritious fruits in the world. Jackfruit cakes are a favourite dessert option of many and this is a recipe for an Elite Jackfruit Cake.
Elite Dates Cake
If you have a sweet tooth and want to try something different, then Elite Dates Cake is for you. Every bite of the Elite Dates Cake is packed full of delightful surprises. Indulge yourself with a truly tempting dessert! These Egyptian Dates are baked in traditional Egyptian style to give them a soft, moist, and naturally sweet flavour. The slightly chewy texture of each bite comes accompanied by an enduring sweetness that makes this cake simply irresistible.
Elite Plum Surprise Cake
Each delicate slice of Elite Plum Surprise Cake is made out of delight and that’s what makes them a truly tempting dessert. This delectable delight makes for a truly tempting indulgence.
Elite Black Raisin Cake
Nothing but perfect chocolat-y decadence and sensational taste! Black Raisin Cake is rich, moist, and velvety in texture. It’s like no other cake. The black raisins give this cake a wonderful flavour of dried fruit unlike any other cake you’ve tried before.
Each of these cakes are made with only the highest quality ingredients, carefully chosen and infused with other flavours in order to be something so much more than a mere delicacy. Every bite of one of these tasty creations will delight your senses like no other! So head to Buddy Basket before they’re all gone… grab the perfect Christmas cake for you and the loved ones in your life!
Millet has been cultivated for a long time throughout the world and is widely consumed in South Asia and Africa. Millet is the main ingredient in making bread, beer, cereal, upma, dosa, and other dishes. Millet is popular due to its various health benefits and the nutritional value that it delivers. Millet is available in various varieties such as finger (Ragi), pearl(Bajri), little, Kodo, Foxtail, barnyard, brown top, proso, and sorghum.
For your day-to-day requirement, you can easily order Manna Diabetic Atta, Manna Millets or Aachi sprouted Ragi Flour from reliable and reputed Indian grocery store online which is Buddy Basket.
Nutrition facts of Millet
Coming to the nutrition facts of millet, a quarter cup serving of dry millet consist of the following:
Protein: 6 grams
Fat: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 36 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Sugar: Less than 1 gram
Apart from the above, millet is a storehouse of Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Phosphorus, Potassium, Niacin, Calcium, and Iron.
Health Benefits of millets
As far as the health benefits of millets are concerned, it offers several benefits as detailed below:
Fights against free radicals.
Millet is considered to be rich in Niacin which is required for healthy skin and functions of the organs. Besides, it also consists of beta carotene that is a natural pigment which is antioxidant and acts as a precursor to Vitamin A. As such, it helps us in fighting with the free radicals along with maintaining healthy eyes.
Regulate Blood Sugar levels
When you order groceries online, remember not to miss the delicious and healthy millets, especially, if you have diabetes. Millets are low in carbohydrates and have low-glycemic index (GI). It takes a long time to digest millet as compared to wheat flour, therefore, it prevents blood sugar from spiking soon after eating and manage blood sugar levels.
Since millet is high in fiber, it is called as the ‘prebiotic’ that supports the good bacteria. It also reduces the chances of developing colon cancer.
Maintain a healthy heart
The presence of soluble fiber in the millet lowers the amount of ‘bad cholesterol’ and increases the ‘good cholesterol’. As such, consumption of millet, reduces the risk of developing heart diseases and keeps heart healthy.
How to cook millet?
If you wish to buy millet, place order at Indian grocery online store “Buddy Basket” where you can get Manna Diabetic Atta, Manna Millets or Aachi sprouted Ragi Flour. It can be cooked like quinoa, or you can made roti, dosa, uthappam etc. Apart from this, you can use it as a substitute in place of wheat bread. You can make several snacks out of it such as puffed millet.
Lohri, Pongal and Makar Sankranti celebrations come knocking this week and everything is set up to lift up the spirits of the young and adults. Lohri and Makar Sankranti are widely celebrated in North India, while Pongal is celebrated in Tamil Nadu and other parts of South India. These festivals mark the beginning of the harvest season.
Amidst the festivities and the pandemic, there is one big hassle that we face on a daily basis, which is to drive all the way to the supermarket or grocery stores to carry loads of weekly and monthly grocery items. But do not worry, because soon you will be able to get all the groceries from ‘Buddy Basket’.
Buddy Basket is an online grocery store that is all set to offer an entire range of grocery items that you require on a daily and monthly basis. you will get all the top brands under one roof. You will be able to buy cereals, pulses, spices, beverages, ready-to-eat food, organic food items, sweets, snacks, edible oils, refreshments, dry fruits, nuts, vegetables and much more.
When you will order grocery items from the Buddy Basket, you will save a lot of time that is otherwise spent commuting to the supermarket. The option of home delivery will not only save your time on commuting but will also save the money that you would otherwise spend on fuel. Moreover, you will not have to wait for the weekends or to take some time out from your busy schedule to go to the supermarket.
Buddy Basket will be accessible through a user-friendly website that will let you select all the grocery items that you require from various categories and brands. All you need to do is create your account and enter your details such as name, email id, phone number and address for delivery. Once you select any item of your choice, it will be moved to the ‘kart’. When the kart is filled with all the necessities, you will be able to pay either through an online mobile wallet, internet banking or credit/debit card. Alternatively, you may choose to pay after the delivery of the product through ‘Cash on delivery’ or ‘Card on delivery’.
Wondering about the hygiene and safety of the products?
Buddy Basket will definitely ensure that you get groceries delivered in a safe and secure manner, where every product shall be hygienically packed. Moreover, the delivery executive will visit at your address wearing a face mask, gloves and will follow the social distancing guidelines of staying ‘6 feet’. Also, the delivery executive will place the grocery items outside the door so you can choose to sanitize if you please.
Celebrate this Lohri, Pongal and Makar Sankranti with mouth-watering sweets, snacks or home-cooked delicacies! Soon Buddy Basket will take care of all your daily and monthly grocery requirements.
When the aroma of baking cakes, cookies, doughnuts, wines and roasted turkeys fill in the air, you know it is Christmas. And the best part of this festival is to exchange Christmas gifts with young and adult family members, friends, relatives and loved ones. Before the arrival of Christmas, we all keep planning in advance about the gifts that we will present. However, when nothing strikes in mind, we end up gifting mouth-watering cakes. There are various varieties of cakes that are relished by everyone irrespective of the age group.
However, preparation of the batter and baking cakes is not everybody’s cup of tea. In fact, baking a cake requires a whole lot of ingredients that are used in a certain proportion to get the desired colour, taste and the ‘spongy’ softness. Either you have to be an expert in baking or make a trip to the nearby bakery to pre-order your choice of cakes. Does that sound like a havoc task?
Relax! Gone are the days when you used to rush to the bakery stores and give advance orders for baking your choices of cakes. Nowadays, things have been made convenient and easy, you can order groceries online through reliable and reputed Indian food store online. The benefits of online grocery delivery are countless. For instance, you need not commute to buy the ingredients or buy a cake. Time and money are saved, as you can simply order your favourite cakes with a ‘’few clicks’’ on your laptop or mobile phone. Besides, who wants to go out in the snow, when you can get everything delivered right at your doorsteps?
Which is the best Indian grocery online store for buying cakes in Canada?
You can buy cakes and all the other grocery items from the best Indian grocery online store – Buddy Basket, where you can check out some of the delicious and tempting cakes for your own use and for Christmas Gifts. Buy traditional Plum Cake made from raisins, prunes, currents etc. or check out sour and sweet Black Raisin Cake. And, if you or your loved ones prefer the authentic South Asian flavour, then Jack Fruit Cake is all you need to wrap up as a Christmas gift. Apart from cakes, you can select KFI gift packs that consist of nutritious nuts and dried fruits. In case, baking is your passion, you can order groceries online to get all the necessary ingredients to bake your own cakes like flour, eggs, vanilla extracts, brown sugar, dry fruits, nuts, baking powder and more.
Which cake will you gift to your loved ones when wishing MERRY CHRISTMAS!!