Relish the taste of South Indian food recipes
Are you munching on having some crispy and crunchy delights meal? Then try out some South Indian dishes like Sambar, Dosa & Nariyal chutney. You will experience a brilliant blend of South Indian flavors. To make them, hereby sharing a simple and easy-to-make recipe for south Indian cuisine. If you find difficulty in finding the ingredients in Canada for sambar, dosa, or chutney mentioned below then you can buy them online from Buddy Basket. It is a popular south asian grocery in Canada.
So, let’s start with all the ingredients needed for making Sambar, Masala Dosa & Coconut Chutney.
Ingredients for Sambar, Masala Dosa & Coconut Chutney
Below is mention ingredients required for Sambar , Masala Dosa & Coconut Chutney making :
Prep & Cooking: 45 minutes
- 1 cup Toor dal/Arhar (split pigeon peas)
- 1 tablespoon(tbsp) Tamarind piece soaked (15-20 minutes) / Lemon juice
- 10 to 12 leaves Fresh curry leaves
- 3/4 teaspoons (tsp) Black Mustard seeds (kali sarso)
- 2 tbsp Sambar powder (quantity can be increased according to taste)
- ¼ tsp Hing
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 5 to 6 beans chopped
- ½ cup chopped pumpkin
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 7 to 8 Drumsticks ( fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup Coriander chopped
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 ½ tsp Salt ( add according to your taste)
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Dhaniya powder
- ½ tsp Lal Mrich ( according to taste)
Coconut Chutney/ Nariyal Chutney
Prep & Cooking: 15 minutes
- ½ cup grated coconut (nariyal)
- 1 to 2 chopped green chilies
- 15 to 20 curry leaves
- ¼ cup roasted chana dal/ urad dal (roasted bengal gram)
- ½ inch chopped ginger
- 2 tsp oil or ghee (coconut oil or sunflower oil)
- salt as per your taste
- 7-8 pieces of ground nuts
- ¼ cup water or add as needed
For batter: Preparation takes 20 minutes
- 3 cup sona masuri rice
- ½ tsp methi / fenugreek seeds
- water (for soaking)
- 1 cup urad dal
- 2 tbsp toor dal
- 2 tbsp chana dal
For aloo bhaji : Preparation takes 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 dried red chilli
- few curry leaves
- pinch hing / asafoetida
- 2 chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 potato (boiled & mashed)
- 2 tbsp coriander (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
All of the above ingredients are a must for making this south indian cuisine. If you’re having difficulty finding all of the ingredients together at the groceries store. Then you can go for an online grocery delivery option.
Instructions for preparation for Sambar, Masala Dosa & Coconut Chutney
Below is mention preparation instructions for Sambar , Masala Dosa & Coconut Chutney :
Method of preparation for Sambar
- Add rinsed toor dal with 3 cups of water. Then add ½ tsp turmeric and 1 tsp salt. Pressure cook it until 5 whistles blow at the medium-high flame, after that cook dal on medium-low flame for 5-6 minutes.
- Once the dal is cooked open a lid and start mashing it.Keep aside.
- Take a pan, add 2 tbsp of oil and heat it on medium flame. Add all the chopped veggies-carrot, tomato, beans, drumstick, pumpkin, and onion, and cook for 2-3 minutes. After that add 3 cups of water and stir it well. Cover with lid for about 2 minutes to get soggy mixture.
- After that add 2 tbsp sambar powder stir, then add 3-4 tbsp of soaked tamarind juice or lemon juice.
- Add the cooked dal into the mixture and stir all together on a medium flame for 5-6 minutes.
- For tadka (tempering), take a small tempering pan- heat ghee. After that add 1tsp mustard seeds, 7-8 curry leaves, and pinch of hing. Stir it for a few seconds.
- Pour the tadka into the sambar while it is steaming on medium flame.
- After 10 minutes add chopped coriander for garnishing. Your hot sambar is now ready to be served.
Method of preparation for Coconut Chutney
- Start by taking a frying pan and adding 2 tsp oil to it. Then add 15-20 curry leaves. stir it for a few seconds until curry leaves are crisp. Keep this mixture aside to get it cool down.
- Now take a chutney grinder and add 1/2 cup of grated coconut, 1/4 cup roasted chana dal or urad dal, ground nuts 5-6 pieces, ½ inch chopped ginger, green chilies 1 or 2, and salt(according to taste) and the curry leaves oil mixture. Then Add ¼ cup of water and grind it well until you see a smooth chutney. Take a note to add less amount of water for a thicker consistency of the chutney.
- Serve the Hotel Style Coconut Chutney with plain dosa, idli, puttupodi, uttapam, and many more south indian dishes.
Note : Chutney will keep longer in a fridge for a few hours than it would in a hotter or warmer environment.
Method of preparation for Masala Dosa
For Dosa batter:
- Take a big bowl and add 3 cups of sona masuri rice, 1/2 tsp methi,1 cup of urad dal, 2 tbsp of toor dal, and chana dal. Rinse it well in water and soak for about 4 hours.
- After 4 hours drain all water and transfer it to the grinder or mixi. Add water as per the batter requirement and blend it well into a smooth paste.
- Keep aside for fermentation for about 8 hours in a warm place. You will see the batter will double its volume before. In Canada, the climate is cold so you can keep it in the oven.
- Once the formation process time is over, mix the batter gently. Then put a 1 tsp cup of salt into it and mix it well until combined.
- Masala dosa batter is ready to roast in a pan.
For Aloo Bhaji:
- First, heat 2 tbsp of oil in a big kadai and add 1 tsp mustard seeds till it splutters. After that add 1 tsp each of urad, chana, and red chilli, along with a few curry leaves and a pinch of hing. Stir it well.
- Now add grated ginger, 2 chilies, and onion to it. Saute well.
- After that sprinkle ¼ tsp turmeric and 1 tsp salt.Stir-fry well.
- Add 3 mashed potatoes and mix well with the spices. Add a little water to it and stir well for 1 minute.
- Now turn off the flame and add 2 tbsp of lemon juice & coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Aloo bhaji for masala dosa is ready. keep aside.
For Masala Dosa Roasting :
- Add a ladleful of batter to a hot Tawa to start.
- For making crispy dosa spread as thinly as you can.
- Then spread 1 tsp of butter/oil/ghee evenly around the dosa.
- Add 2 tbsp of the prepared aloo masala to the center.
- Keep roasting the dosa until it becomes crispy and golden.
- After that roll the dosa after scraping the sides.
- Finally, the masala dosa dish is prepared and can be served with sambar and coconut chutney.
Buddy Basket is a popular grocery store delivery that allows you to get your favorite Indian products at home. They are offering delivery everywhere in Canada like Brampton, Toronto, Mississauga, Ontario, Hamilton etc. We have more than 1000+ products like Sooji, Sambar powder, Easy idli mix, dosa mix etc. that will be happily delivered to your door !