Laljee Godhoo and Co. was started in 1894 by Shri Laljee Godhoo. At that time the company exclusively dealt in ‘Lumps’ of Hing (Asafoetida) that was prepared manually by hundreds of workers employed by the company. At the time, no sophisticated machinery was used. Goods were prepared by churning products by hand.
Sale of ‘Laljee Godhoo & Co.’ Asafoetida initially started in Mumbai, after which it spread to South India which is our primary market today. This was accomplished by Shri Khimji Laljee, with the aid of a Gujarati family settled in Chennai.
Laljee Godhoo & Co. opened its doors to the Southern Markets by establishing its First branch in Nagapattnam (currently non-operational), followed by Kumbakonam and then Chennai.
To meet the increasing demands in South India, Shri Umakant Vahalia and Shri Kumud Chandra Harikrishna Bhatt came forward to lend assistance.
The years 1976-1978 brought about some crucial changes for the company. With the evolution of a busier lifestyle where women had no time to dry and grind the lumps to get the perfect powdered texture, we wished to provide our customers with just the right product which would provide the same taste without effort or delay.