Perfect Home-made Idli Sambar Recipe with South Indian Taste
Cooked veggies, spices, and herbs are so much healthier for balancing a good lifestyle. But aren’t bored eating them all day? To bring new twists and flavors to the boring mealtime you can blend these all ingredients into a single dish Idli Sambar recipe. South Indian cuisine is highly rich in proteins, vitamins, and carbohydrates. Also, it’s an amazing and supercilious treat to the guests as well, because it’s quick and simple. In this blog, we are going to discuss the whole Idli Sambar recipe ingredients you can easily get from a south indian grocery store online- BuddyBasket.
All about Idli Sambar Recipe:
Preparation, Ingredients, and Method
Steamed rice cake is an idli. Sambar is a vegetable curry made with a variety of vegetables and shallots. Also, idli sambar is just soft idli that has been dipped in hot, steaming sambar and lavishly topped with raw onions and coriander leaves. In Canada, you can get all south indian products online to make dishes quickly.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time :1 hour
Servings: 4 people
Ingredients for making South Indian Cuisine :
Sambar and its Tadka –
- 1/2 cup Toor dal / Arhar dal
- 1/8 cup moong dal
- 2 tsp oil
- 15 small onions chopped
- 1 big tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin chopped
- 2 small carrots cubed
- 1 green chilli
- 2 tbsp sambar powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp tamarind/lemon
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- Water as required
- 1tsp sugar
- Salt to taste as needed to immerse
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp urad dal
- a generous pinch hing
- a small sprig curry leaves
- 1 heaped tsp sambar powder
- Pinch of hing
Idli – 40 serves –
- 3.2 cup instant rice idli mix
- 1.6 cup curd
- water (as required)
You can shop all these ingredients and south Indian groceries online on Buddy Basket.
Preparation Instruction for Sambar Idli:
Instructions for making Sambar
- Take 1/8 cup moong dal and 1/2 cup toor/arhar dal. Rinse it thoroughly.
- Now, add 2 cups of water, 1/8 teaspoon of oil, and 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder to the cooker. Cook under pressure for 5 to 6 whistles, or until tender. Wait for the pressure to realize itself.
- Open it up and thoroughly mash it with a ladle. Place aside.
- Add two tablespoons of tamarind to a bowl and soak in about half a cup of warm water. Give it a rough crush and leave it alone for 15 minutes.
- After that crush thoroughly to extract the pulp after 15 minutes. ready tamarind extract.
Note: You can add lemon juice instead of this tamarind juice.
- Now add 1 large tomato, 1 long green chilli, 10-15 tiny onions, and 1/2 cup pumpkin to a pot that has been heated with 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Also, add 2 tbsp of sambar powder.
- Saute until tomatoes are soft, perhaps a few minutes.
- Mix in the cooked, mashed dal.
- Add 1 cup of water to the cooker after rinsing it. It has been thoroughly combined.
- Also, the vegetables should be cooked for 10 to 12 minutes with a covering lid.
- Check if a fork or spoon easily passes through the vegetables and is cooked properly. If not, it needs to cook for a few more minutes.
- Add tamarind extract after straining or lemon juice.
- Put 1 teaspoon of Kashmiri red chilli powder in.
- Sambar should boil after thorough mixing. We can make the tadka in the meanwhile.
- After that, heat oil in a tadka pan. Stir in 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon of urad dal, a hefty pinch of hing, and a few curry leaves. Finally, stir in 1 heaping teaspoon of sambar powder before turning off the heat.
- Turn off right away so you don’t burn yourself. Now add this to sambar.
- Make sure keep boiling sambar for 10 minutes.
- Finally, add 1 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves and 1 tsp of sugar before turning off the stove. Idli sambar is ready and hot.
Instructions for making Idli with Instant Idli mix
- Take 3.2 cups of the instant idli mix and put it in a bowl to make idlis.
- Add 1.6 cup curd and 1 cup water.
- Now, wait for 10 minutes. And till then grease the idli stands with oil.
- Make sure the batter has a smooth consistency by thoroughly mixing and whisking.
- Now add the idli batter to the oiled greased idli molds.
- Also, the idli should steam for 10 minutes or until done. Check by inserting a toothpick.
Enjoy your instant idli with chutney and sambar, healthy & nutritious. Moreover, to know the recipe for Coconut chutney/ Nariyal chutney you can check out our blog at https://buddybasket.ca/relish-the-taste-of-south-indian-food-recipes/.
Also, you can easily shop all products to save time because we have within 48 hours delivery in all over Canada with us.