Traditional pongal recipe (Rice & Lentil Dish)
Sweet Pongal is typically prepared as a prasadam in temples. This style of Pongal is prepared during the Sankranthi festival in Andhra Pradesh and the Pongal festival in Tamil Nadu. To make this dish in Canada you may find it difficult to get all the ingredients. But Buddy Basket canada grocery online store offers all South Indian items in one place from Indian spices to snacks , we have everything. The best south Indian desi grocery store all over Canada and its GTA areas.
Sweet Pongal – Quick and easy Recipe guide
A delicious South Indian holiday dish called Sweet Pongal is composed of rice, moong lentils, ghee, jaggery or sugar, cardamoms, and almonds. It is a traditional dish cooked primarily to be offered to the Gods during festivals and special occasions. In Telugu and Tamil, sweet Pongal is called Chakkara Pongal and Sakkarai Pongal, respectively. On the day of Makara Sankranthi & Pongal, the Indian harvest festival, this sweet dish is prepared in many traditional South Indian houses. It is said that these dishes have been made to symbolize and celebrate surplus and success following the harvest season.
The Sun God receives the prepared sweet pongal called naivedyam as part of the Gratitude ritual or puja. In South India, pongal recipes vary greatly according to the family traditions, customs, taste, and most crucially, the location where people live.
In this blog, we are going to share a recipe of this sweet dish to make your Pongal 2023 filled with sweetness and love.
- Preparation Time- 5 minutes
- Cooking Time- 20 minutes
- Total Time- 25 minutes
- Servings- 4 Servings
Ingredients for making Pongal Traditional Sweet Dish 2023
For pressure cooking:
For jaggery water:
- ¾ cup jaggery (gur)
- ¼ cup water
For frying dry fruits:
- ¼ cup water (to adjust consistency)
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder/elaichi powder
- Small piece of edible camphor / pacha karpooram
At Buddy Basket, india food and grocery store in Canada , you can get all of the above items.
Instructions for preparation of Sweet Pongal Dish
- First, combine 1/2 cup rice and 1/4 cup moong dal in a pressure cooker (both soaked for 15 minutes).
- 2¼ cups of water should be added. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
- Take care of the fact that the rice and dal are fully cooked, not left half raw.
- Add 1/4 cup water and 3/4 cup jaggery to a pan.
- Stir continuously until all of the jaggeries have melted.
- Filter the cooked rice-dal mixture after adding the jaggery water.
- If necessary, add additional water up to 1/4 cup to adjust consistency.
- Simmer for 2 minutes, or until the jaggery and rice-dal combination are fully combined.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ghee and stir thoroughly until the sakkarai pongal becomes glossy.
- Now heat 2 teaspoons of ghee in a small kadai and cook 10 whole cashews, 2 tablespoons of raisins, and 1 clove.
- Fill the sweet pongal with fried cashews and kishmish.
- Also, include a little piece of edible camphor and 1/4 tsp. cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Finally, the sakkarai pongal (sweet pongal) is ready to be offered to the goddess.
Hope you liked the recipes, we are offering all types of groceries like traditional spices, snacks, sweets, and much more.
Happy Pongal 2023 from Buddy Basket, Shop snacks online canada at the best prices with us !!!